Hantavirus Deaths Reported on Cruise Ship
Monday 04 May 2026 - 05:02pm
By Sello Lentsoane | South Africa
Three people have died following a health incident aboard a cruise ship in the Atlantic Ocean, with one laboratory-confirmed case of hantavirus, the World Health Organization said on Sunday.
“To date, one case of hantavirus infection has been laboratory confirmed, and there are five additional suspected cases,” the WHO said. “Three of the six affected individuals have died, and one is currently in intensive care in South Africa.”
South Africa’s response is being led by the National Department of Health, South Africa, with Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi confirming that authorities are monitoring the situation and tracing possible contacts.
“We are tracing all contacts linked to the patient who was admitted in South Africa,” Motsoaledi said in an on-camera interview with the SABC News.
The vessel, identified in earlier reports as the MV Hondius, was travelling from Ushuaia in Argentina to Cape Verde when passengers developed symptoms of severe acute respiratory illness.
The WHO said investigations are ongoing, including laboratory testing, epidemiological analysis and virus sequencing.
Medical care is being provided to passengers and crew, while coordination is underway for the evacuation of symptomatic individuals and further public health assessment.
Hantavirus infections are typically linked to exposure to infected rodents, particularly through contaminated urine or faeces, and can cause severe respiratory illness.
South African health authorities had earlier confirmed deaths linked to the incident and continue to monitor potential exposure within the country.
Source: NNA TV+ / SABC News