HOME NEWS ULTRA STREAM Contact

Ghana postpones citizen evacuation from SA after a turnout of only one national

Friday 22 May 2026 - 03:55pm

By Wardah Wilkinson, NNA News | Johannesburg, South Africa

Ghana postponed a planned evacuation flight from South Africa on Thursday after only one Ghanaian national arrived at Johannesburg’s Oliver Tambo International Airport. 

The number of registered evacuees had jumped to 800 from 300, the Foreign Ministry said, and that required more time to finish travel documents and legal, technical and logistical arrangements with South African authorities.

“The planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days to enable our High Commissioner to meet these conditions,” the ministry added.

Ghanaian national Silvester Boakye reacts at OR Tambo International Airport in Ekurhuleni on March 21, 2026, after a repatriation flight failed to materialise, leaving stranded nationals who had gathered to board the flight.  (Photo by EMMANUEL CROSET / AFP)

Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa posted on X that the sole passenger was Sylvester Boakye and that he would be placed on the next flight.

“No Ghanaian desirous of returning home will be left behind,” the ministry stressed. 

The department also pushed back on social media claims that Boakye had been flown home alone on a chartered aircraft. It said no chartered flight had been sent because the evacuation was deferred by agreement with South Africa.

Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Benjamin Quarshie, met Boakye at the Ghanaian mission in Pretoria on Friday. The ministry said Quarshie found Boakye after he missed the updated notice and turned out to be the only person at the airport.

Boakye, a barber, told South African broadcaster Newzroom Afrika he had slept on airport chairs overnight to make sure he got a seat. 

“I even slept at the airport on Wednesday night so I could get a chance to be on the flight, because there were many of us going home, it was announced. But when I got here, I did not find anybody,” he stated. 

He then went on to explain that he had been living in South Africa on a passport while renewing his asylum permit every three months. When Ghana announced the evacuation, he decided to join.

Ghanian nationals prepare their luggage at OR Tambo International Airport in Ekurhuleni on March 21, 2026, before an evacuation flight failed to materialise, leaving stranded nationals who had gathered to board the flight.  (Photo by EMMANUEL CROSET / AFP)

After the announcement came on the 12th May, when President John Mahama approved the evacuation of 300 Ghanaians registered with the High Commission in Pretoria after xenophobic attacks and threats against foreigners. The number later rose as more people registered. 

The delay comes as anti-immigration tensions rise in South Africa, where vigilante groups and protesters have accused foreign nationals of taking jobs and committing crimes. Ghana has condemned the harassment of its citizens, including the case of Emmanuel Asamoah, whose confrontation with protesters drew international attention. 

Ablakwa called the incident “unacceptable,” and urged South African authorities to investigate. 

Ghana later repatriated Asamoah and offered him employment, officials told local Ghanaian media. 

“The government of Ghana shall continue to safeguard the welfare of all Ghanaians at home and abroad,” the ministry added.

TOPICS: Migration, Xenophobia, Africa, Diplomacy